Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
A true classic, banana bread is great for any occasion and any time of the day. This simple and moist banana bread recipe is easy to make – with minimal ingredients and minimal cleanup, it’s a very practical recipe with delicious results. To spice your banana bread up, consider adding chocolate chips to the mix, which is great for coaxing young kids to try some. Just a dab of butter and a lovely cup of tea along with a slice makes for the perfect snack.
- 2 to 3 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/3 cup of melted butter (unsalted or salted)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet, 1 cup if more sweet)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of plain white flour
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter a 4×8 inch loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
3. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Then mix in the flour, followed by the chocolate chips.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour at 350°F/175°C, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove your loaf from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then remove the banana bread from the pan and let cool completely before serving. Slice and serve. (Tip: A bread knife helps to make your slices less crumbly.)